Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cattle Prod Inspiration -

I’ve received inspiration a number of ways over the years – normally it’s a wonderful comforting feeling that what I’m doing or praying about is what needs to happen or is true. Other times its given as a direct command that something needs to be done right now. Some times it’s given in what I call the cattle prod approach. Good or bad - your directed or led to be at the right place at the right time. None of these methods are wrong, if I’m doing what I’m suppose to, hopefully I’ll be able to accomplish what the Lord wants me to do. One such cattle prod moment happen as a missionary in El Paso Texas. I had been serving in my area for a couple of months with wonderful experiences and opportunities. This day was perhaps one of the worse days of my mission - everything seemed to be going wrong. Appointments were being cancelled, others weren’t there when we showed up – it was one of the three times I had a gun pulled on me as a missionary. Our spirits were quite low and I needed something good to happen to us and soon. I turned to my companion and said we needed to go see a family that had just committed to baptism the night before. He pointed out that we had just been there yesterday and had another appointment in a couple of days - they wouldn’t be expecting us. All of this was true, but I just needed to talk to someone that would be nice to me. I was the senior companion and despite my companions objections we started the long bike ride to the other end of our area. The problems seemed to continue as we made our way to the neighborhood where this family lived. As we approached the house I started to formulate what I would say when they asked why we were there. No explanation was needed; as this wonderful sister opened the door I saw tears in her eyes and the rest of the family kneeling in pray in the living room. She stated, “Elders we have been praying that you would come.” This was before cell phones and there was no way they would have known where we were of how to get hold of us. We went in and found out that this sister had just come from the doctors office and been diagnosed with some form of cancer. We anointed her head with oil and for the first time that day I felt the power of the spirit, I received the prompting that she would be fine and would be healed. After giving her a blessing by the power of the priesthood, we talked and read some scriptures. As we left their home we were in greater spirits then when we had arrived. In the weeks that passed the doctors were amazed that when she had an operation no cancer was found. This wasn’t a surprise to us or this wonderful family as their faith was extremely strong and the blessing of the Lord were poured out as they had committed to follow the Savior. A cattle prod is a tool that helps guide the cows to go where the farmer wants them to go. Some times the prodding isn’t pleasant or easy. I’ve often wondered why I hadn’t had the impression to just go to their house. But like has happened to Gods people throughout history, I first needed to be humbled before I was asked to fulfill an opportunity to use the priesthood to help someone in need. This lesson was more for me than for the family concerned. The Lord knew I would go where I needed to be, and that their faith was sufficient to be healed. He also knew what I needed to learn and where I would go for relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment