Monday, October 12, 2009

Sacred Places -

Many religions have their Mecca, Holy Grail or sacred edifices. Many are physical locations, others areas, places of peace and in other cases it’s a feeling – a state of being. In my case these places or locations are many. My personal belief is the most valuable thing that I have. It is the basis of my life, my relationship with my wife, kids and everyone that I come in contact with. These sacred locations can be because of personal or individual events. I remember going on a walk one evening, confused and discouraged that not only couldn’t I find my eternal companion – but I was having a hard time finding a young lady I wanted to go on a date with twice. In a park not very far from my house I sat on a picnic table to contemplate and pray for direction. I remember saying in my mind – Heavenly Father you know whom I’m compatible with, could you please help me to find her and give me direction. I had one of the strongest manifestations of the spirit, not to worry and it would happen shortly. It was just a few weeks later that I met my wife for the first time. We hadn’t lived close to each other during the previous years – she came to Logan to rent an apartment and that’s when we met. This is an event that is more spiritual than the location in which it took place – but it became a special place to me. Being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is something that’s very important in my life. There are a few locations that are associated with the history of this great religion. One of these is the Sacred Grove – the location the boy Prophet Joseph Smith went to ask God which church he should join and where the first vision took place. Mormons believe that this is where God the Father and His son Jesus Christ appeared to that fourteen-year-old boy and started the restoration of Christ Church on earth. As a twelve-year-old boy I was given the opportunity to go to that same location. It was an event that I knew for many months before hand would be given to me. I viewed this as an occasion that would allow me the opportunity to ask God if it had in reality taken place. I spent those months reading the scriptures and praying that I would receive that answer upon my visit. The whole trip was more than ten days. When we finally went to the sacred grove we were allow to go off by ourselves – this is when I took the opportunity to ask the question that I had prepared for these many months. Unlike the Prophet Joseph Smith I didn’t see a light or see with my physical eyes heavenly beings like has happened all through the Bible, but I had a spiritual manifestation that was stronger than any I had ever had in my young life. Up to that point I believe I had felt the spirit a number of times – it was something I was familiar with, but not to this extent. There was no doubt in my heart, mind and being that he had answered my prayer. Since that time I have felt the spirit as strong as that day but never stronger. During my teenage years and beyond when I have faced trials and difficulties and questions of faith and dedication, I have been able to draw on this event to straighten my resolve and faith. It has become a building block of my testimony that God lives and Jesus is the Christ – that he in reality does hear and answer my humble prayers. He knows who I am and is willing to be there in my time of need. Over my life I have talked to hundreds of people that don’t know in there heart if there really is a God and that he knows who they are. This has been one of the greatest blessings and experiences in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment