Saturday, October 17, 2009

Co-worker -

I’m too old to say someone I work with is like a father to me, but to say he’s more like an older brother would insinuate that he beat the crap out of me on a number of occasions. If I were to say he was an equal it would show my cockiness and self-glorification. Over the years I can honestly say that I have never met anyone with more integrity, honesty and who is genuinely a great guy. Now before he’s translated I need to point out that he is human and occasionally shows up to work ornery and discouraged. How couldn’t you, working in the banking industry the last couple of years? Like myself he has seen his retirement funds down the drain enough to cause permanent depression – at least it has to me. But he always remains positive and upbeat in my misery. As an employee I have never seen anyone be such a jack-of-all-trades. When he leaves we will all freeze or sweat to death, the lawns will die and who will help me shovel the walks? As a banker his job has been to make loans, in doing so he has also educated and changed the lives of thousands of people. Through his tutelage they have learned to budget, save and develop the skills necessary to improve their situations and find peace of mind. The company we work for has a slogan – “we haven’t forgotten who keeps us in business.” His slogan could easily be “he hasn’t forgotten the worth of each individual.” He treats everyone with kindness and respect – even if they don’t deserve it. Enough of the mushy stuff, he does have a couple of things wrong with him – he’s color bind, but still is more color coordinated than I am. He has more hair than I do – but does a little comb over. Despite the fact we’re getting older there are a few of his personality traits that are contagiously youthful. He has a love for cars and has models of some of his favorite in his office, but the one I’m the most jealous of is his relationship with his beautiful wife. They are like teenagers falling in love again for the very first time. Now I’m sure they have their difficulties, but I don’t see how they could be mad at each other long enough to make it worthwhile. He is one of the valued people that I bounce my life off of. He has never, out load, called me an idiot or made me feel like I’m a waste of time. He laughs at my stupid jokes and stories that I make him read. He always sees the silver lining in what ever is going on in my life – when I think it’s all tarnished. At work I feel he’s kind of got a raw deal. Over the past number of years a bunch of yuppie types has gotten into upper management and created a number of fancy titles or positions. These are now the people that need to take care of the most profitable clients, because of his age he has evolved into the position that basically has taken care of everything else, and he does it very well. Because of the economic downturn the bank has asked him if he would like to take an early retirement package. Now if I recall he’s already sixty-two, so I’m sure retirement is something he has thought about before. His package wouldn’t be considered a golden parachute – it’s probably not a parachute at all. But a few months ago his wife retired from her job and now they get to spend all day together, which would be suicide for some people but not for them. Entering a new stage or frontier of life is exciting, but also a little scary. There is no doubt in my mind that he will continue to succeed in what ever he decides to do. He’s not the sit in a rocking chair and watch TV all day type. Indeed he has been a great friend over the years that at times have filled all of the categories I mentioned at the first. I do look up to him as a fatherly influence – a brother, I would do anything for him if he needed it, and he would say an equal because he would never put himself above anyone else in importance. Good luck and God bless you and your family for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment