Sunday, February 14, 2010

Blue Benches

Everyone has heard the phrase that it’s as obvious as the nose on your face. Even the most alerts individual can miss something right in front of them once in a while. I have a hard time growing any kind of hair – it just doesn’t happen. Of all the factual hair that a person can do the one that in my option looks the stupidest is the soul patch, that little section below the lower lip. Wouldn’t you know it this is the only place my future son-in-law had hair on his face? Now that isn’t a reason to tell him he can’t marry your daughter – as a matter of fact it shouldn’t be a big deal at all. Despite that I still mentioned one day that it would be nice for the wedding if it were gone so we wouldn’t have to have it in the pictures. I know it’s not my place but that hasn’t stopped me before. Now it wasn’t something I was dwelling on thus the reason that half way through the day’s activities they had to point out to me that he had shaved it off for the wedding – I never even noticed. I’ve missed my wife’s new hair dew a new decoration and much more. There are also a lot of things that change all around us that we notice and love to watch the progress. We were one of the first to build in our sub-division so when other homes were being built it was common for many of us to walk through and see what it was going to look like. When they started to build a new church a block away it became kind of gathers spot a couple times a week to see what had taken place. I remember after the floor was poured it look different to me because it sloped where the chapel was supposed to be. We later fond out that this made it so the back row was higher then the front row – not steep enough to be considered stadium seating but it really looks nice. Near the end of the construction a friend and I were going by and noticed a large truck in the parking lot so we decided to take a peak. As we walked into the chapel it was beautiful. The walls were completed the carpet was laid and there were about twelve men putting in the pews or benches. The walls were a rose color the carpet was green and the benches were blue – blue, why would the benches be blue? At this time about a third of the benches were in place. I walked up to one of the workers and asked – why are the benches blue when the carpet is green? He looked at me kind of confused – he had the look of what are you talking about and who are you. He then turned around and walked up to another worker and said this guy wants to know why the benches are blue, now I’m no interior designer - but they just didn’t look right. They then went to who ever was the supervisor and next thing you know they stopped the work and he made a phone call. Apparently there was another church being built not every far away and their blue bencher and the green ones for this building were sent to the wrong location. I’ve wondered since how could twelve men working that close not notice that they were a different color? Now a woman would say because they were all men. Others may say they just took them out of the truck and knew it was their job to but them in – it’ someone else’s job to make sure their the right benches. I’m sure they weren’t happy to have to take them out and find the right ones – but at least I walked in before they got them all in. Oh well - there are a lot of times I don’t notice what other people think was so obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment