Friday, February 5, 2010

Where did that come from?-

I don’t understand genetics – apparently there is this little twisty ladder of information that dictates who we are and what we look like. It’s called our DNA – I have no idea what it stands for. I’m sure I did as a teenager in some science class, but you know everything at that age. There must be something to this stuff since my brothers and I look so much a like that people mistaken us for each other all the time. The problem with that is I’m the youngest, what’s with everyone thinking I’m so old?

I’ve mentioned this in another story but I tell people if I act like I don’t know who they are they need to just whack me across the side of the head – either I deserve it or it will make a good story when I see my brothers. Not only do we get our DNA from our ancestors but also apparently we learn certain behavior from those that rock our cradles. This fact is good and bad – and too many people use it as an excuse for being idiots. No it’s not your parents fault you robbed that bank – but parents and those we associate with influence the way we think about certain things. In the end each of us are responsible for our own choices that makes up our lives. But no matter how hard we try other things are what they are. My father had Alzheimer’s for about seven years before he pasted away. Most scientist say that the major cause is genetics – but there are a few things that help it’s timing. Mom died of a heart attract at the age of eighty – her father died of a heart attract at the age of fifty-seven. The fact that he chose to smoke most of his life made his condition worse than hers. I’ve been told I got my hairline from him, or at least the lack of it. Mom had breast cancer, Dad had prostate cancer – which I mixed up with colon cancer while talking to my doctor and next thing you know I was having a colonoscopy. It must be hereditary other wise why do my brothers even sound a like?

Lori must sound real young; she can’t even number the amount of times someone has asked her on the phone if her dad was home. She started says that he doesn’t live here. People must be thinking I moved out or finally she got rid of the loser. The worse is when you think a woman is the man of the house – ouch! It’s Ok to be mistaken for one of your kids – but not a member of the opposite sex. Now as this all comes to be hopefully you like your parents because after while that’s who you become. I wish we could choose which one we looked or acted like. My dad had tons of dark hair and olive colored skin. Dad was reserved, intelligent and humble. Mom was fair skinned, outgoing and had a great sense of humor. But it doesn’t work that way – we can’t choose our features. Well there may be a couple of plastic sergeant that might disagree. Our niece just got married and her husband gave himself hair plugs as a present. Now when it comes to our kids it’s kind of funny they got all of their negative qualities from my side of the family and the good one from Lori’s side. At least now of my girls have gone bald yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment