Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Nunheimer

What's in a name? When you think about it your first name really shouldn't say anything about you. It was given before your parents knew your personality, likes or moods. Now the last name that could bring with it some baggage - I guess a first name could too if your named after an extended family member. Your last name shows your heritage - comes with the DNA, looks and possible weaknesses or deceases. My father had Alzheimer's, studies show that it can be hereditary. My mother and her father both had heart attacks which run in curtain lines. The mom's side of the equation usually doesn't pass on their name, but the DNA is just as powerful. I can't do anything about the DNA or the possible problems - it's the heritage that I hope I can live up too. Each of the boys in my family have middle names that are part of our heritage. My two oldest brothers have my mothers maiden name. The next one has the name of the family that took my father in at a young age and raised him as one of their own, they gave him a home and the love that he had never felt up to that time. Both of these names have extended meanings and should give those that posses them the desire to honor and carry it on with pride. My middle name is Nunheimer - as you can tell it is defiantly German. This is my grandmothers maiden name of, the one that died from complication giving birth to my father. The ultimate sacrifice, she died a few days after he was born I hope she had the chance to hold him and tell him she loved him. At least that's how I envision those few critical days after his birth. Her death set off a series of events that would challenge anyone - but they weren't fair for a child. My father was the only link to the future for the DNA of Nell Nunheimer, these were passed on to each of his children. So with-in my veins and make-up are strands of her DNA, physical straights and weaknesses. I could have some of her mannerisms, looks and who knows what else. We don't have a lot of information about Nell and her family, they lived in Indiana and her parents were immigrants from German that used the name of Nunheim on the journey. Theres a poem about Nancy Hanks the mother of Abraham Lincoln who died when he was nine - believed to be written by Rosemary Benet. Nancy Hanks came back as a ghost wanting to know how her son turned out. "Wheres my son? What happened to Abe? Whats he done?" My father never turned out to be a President or freed millions of slaves - but he was a huge success, he was the father of ten, an attorney, a public and church leader, I'm sure Nell would be pleased to know what he made of his life. Now it's my turn - what would she think of her name sake?

No comments:

Post a Comment