Thursday, September 23, 2010

What did you say?

First things first - some of you might find this one to be a little offensive, that wasn't my intent and if you feel that way I'm sorry. We all say things that are stupid or use a word that doesn't mean the same thing it once did, hows a person suppose to know? Some people are masters of speech and languages, they are able to speak volumes with only a few words or ideas. This doesn't always mean that what they are saying is correct or worth listening too. I've heard politicians give a discourse or presentation that was concise, eloquent and full of crap. Maybe that's why they were elected in the first place. I guess if someone tells you what you want to hear you may vote for them weather or not they have the ability or desires to fulfill their promises. Others use a word that they didn't intend to use or even know what it means. An acquittance told me that his toddler was begging him to watch the movie 101 Damnation's - now this is a more realistic concept than someone having 101 spotted dogs. Just let the kid watch cable TV for a couple of hours and they will see more than 101 things that someone would view as damnable offences. We took a group of teenagers on a pioneer trek to understand their heritage and what sacrifices where made in their behalf. There is a wonderful place in central Wyoming ran by Mormon missionaries where a number of pioneers lost their lives trekking to their Zion. During the orientation an Elderly missionary kept telling the kids that they shouldn't wear thongs because of the roughness of the trail, snakes and the dirt. That's what we use to call flip flops and this poor woman was as clueless as the kids were as to why she was spending time talking about such an embarrassing topic. At least none of the them slept through the presentation. This isn't the only word that has changed meaning - when I was a kid and went to church they had a separate meeting for the kids called Primary. The best part of it was singing time, we sang hundreds of songs. There were two that parts of the song aren't in the book anymore. One went something like this, "I am gay tra-la-la, night and day tra-la-la. The other one said, "I'm so glad when grandpa comes, when grandpa comes we're gay." I don't think these are songs they want your children singing at church. If a little boy walked down the street singing about his grandpa - there might be an investigation. A co-worker didn't feel so good the other day and took some medication, it kind of did some things to her, as she was laying down she made the comment that she was feeling a little queer. That's a blast from the past. I'm sure the medication wasn't making her question her sexual preference. My grandmother use to always say when someone make a mistake that they puller a big boner - I looked it up in the dictionary, it said a blunder or mistake. That might be true, but still don't say it in mixed company. All of these examples are because of changes in society or interpretation - but that doesn't change the fact that some people just don't have tact or don't care what people think. I was given the opportunity to serve as the head of our congregation at church. This is a big job and takes a lot of your spare time. This is a volunteer position and so you don't get paid. Right after I was sustain a lady came up to me and said she couldn't believe I was called to such a position. She stated that I was the most immature and irreverent person she knew - how would you like to start out with those expectations? Luckily for me she wasn't a member of my congregation, she has never brought up the topic again and I have long since been released. The other day my brother and I attended a viewing for one of our old friends that grew up in the neighborhood. There were a number of people from what we could now call the hood. One elderly couple was there that has know us for ever - he started to comment on how well we turned out and how proud he was of us. She decided to join in and said "I didn't think you guys would amount to anything." Well at least she didn't tell us that back then - maybe we would have believed her. I guess we need to remember that each of us have different opinions and some of the time what we are saying isn't looked at the way it was intended to be.

1 comment:

  1. I thought we agreed you would not tell what I said about you being immature. You need to forgive me, after all I have forgiven you for your cheese ball comment... Or have I?
    Connie P.

    ReplyDelete