Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Arrested --

In one of my stories I claim to be a nice guy – and that I have never been arrested. I encourage anyone that reads my stories and has a different opinion or recollection to let me know so if I’ve forgotten something it can be corrected. So I wasn’t too surprised my daughter called me on the recollection of my regurgitation of stories over the years, saying she recalls me telling a story about when I was arrested – so here it is and you decide. I’ve been taken into custody or detained three times in my life by law enforcement. One time I was given my rights – and there is no doubt they didn’t like my reaction! But I’ll save that one for last. First I’ll spend time on the other two. One of these is mentioned in one of my others stories and I don’t think toilet papering is a major crime, it is treated a little more severe when it takes place in a small town because there’s not much else going on, and when the police have a chance to be called into action it’s a serious matter to them. The reason we got caught is because half the school was there, which is too many to keep quite – just a thought if you’re making plans. When the police showed up they chose the four most vocal to talk too that would always include me. During the interrogation it became known that my father was the local judge - this required a lecture of what my dad would think of my involvement, which all of us knew the answer to that before the discourse. The heat was turned from me as soon as he realized that the city councilman’s son and the major’s son were in the car as well. He turned to the fourth young man and said who’s your dad the governor? Get out of here no one will believe this. We did have to clean up the toilet paper but no arrests or records with obtained. The next one was a little more serious and could have gotten someone in trouble. One of our extra circular activities included a fire extinguisher, this was one of those that shot water and became a tool for drenching innocent bystanders alone the side of the road. I don’t remember who was driving but it wasn’t me. Some of our victims decided to give chase and the driver didn’t want to be caught. He made a couple of illegal turns and failed to stop when the lights and signs said that he should – during this chase we recognized those following us were actually people we knew and so we pulled over to give them a hard time – by this time three cop cars were in a relentless pursuit, which isn’t good. This earned us a trip to the police station and a call to our parents – but no arrests and records were earned, but we did lose our fire extinguisher and I got grounded at home. Now for the feast of resistance! One day at school I received a note that I should report to the office as soon as possible. As I left class and started in that direction I met one of my best friends walking the same way as well. I asked him where he was going and he told me he received the same notification. When we got there we were taken to the principles office – we had no idea what was going on, maybe we were getting a citizenship award or student of the month. The principles office was empty, but not for long. When the principle entered he was accompanied by two uniformed police officers. Before anything else was said they began to give us our rights – now I don’t know what your reaction would have been but I started to laugh. This didn’t go over very well with the three adults but my friend looked at me and started to join in. Now I’ve watched Perry Mason enough times to know that I could ask what we were being charged with. They started to ask a couple of questions and I said no – what is it you thinking we’ve done. Apparently there had been a series of thefts and locker break-in at the school. Now maybe we should have called our lawyers or at least my dad, but I knew I had nothing to hide. My friend looked at me in bewilderment - then I figured out what situation had caused their suspision that we were the harden criminals that deserved such treatment. There was a young lady our age that always had plenty of candy in her locker and we always made an effort to beg or prey on her generosity. She decided, and who knows why, to give us her combination and she told us to help ourselves to what ever she had to offer. Now this is like giving the town drunk a key to the liquor store. I looked at our bloodthirsty vultures trying to break the case of the century and told them if we were reported in a locker at a certain location and we're together that this young lady had given us permission and that we were getting candy. This information required a huddle and then they excused themselves for a conference. As I recall we stayed in that office for almost a half-hour more as they questioned the young lady involved. After the cross examination of all involved we were released to our freedom – but no arrests were given of records earned. Now I can see why my daughter wrote the comment she did – but I don’t think I will change the other story for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment