Sunday, December 6, 2009

Giving Blood --

There are a number of acts that are selfless and help those that can’t help themselves. These feats are many and can change the way you look at life and your existence. I wish I could say I have done so many of these selfless acts that I can’t number them but that wouldn’t be true, at least not being able to number the different areas that fall into this category. One of these events that I have done often is to donate blood. At least twice a year there has been a non-profit organization that has set up shop to conveniently entice would be donors to contribute. These locations are normally in the same proximity making it easy to find. In our city they are usually at churches or at the local university and high schools.

I remember the first time I gave blood. I think you have to be at least seventeen years old to donate. Giving blood isn't that easy for everyone, some are afraid of the needle, which is the size of a sprinkler pipe. Maybe it's the worker that acts like its no big deal and crams it in like their drilling for oil. Maybe it's the questions you have to answer in order to qualify to give this life saving substance. Every time I go they give me the list of things that disqualifies a donor, as I read them I can't believe anyone does those kinds of things. I’m sure it’s on purpose, but they also try to confuse you by asking the same questions twelve times with a different twist. Last time I answered the questions I felt like I needed to go take a shower and review the itinerary from our last cruise. If you haven't given blood before you have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not disputing the need for these kinds of questions - if I were the one receiving the blood I wouldn't want getting it from someone who failed the quiz in order to donate. After you’ve answered the questions they give you a mini physical which includes your pulse, temperature, some kind of test will a drop of blood from your finger. Then if that works out all right - it’s time to do the deed.

Usually I don't care which arm they take blood from; I go with whichever chair is available first. Each chair has an attachment on the right or left side where you put your arm in order to extract this life sustaining liquid. I always enjoy it more when the person next to you is starting the same time, that's so you can race and see who can fill their bag first. Of course they have no idea you're racing, that would be a little weird. After you given your blood they patch you up with a bandage of some sort. You have the choice of a number of colors - blue, red, green and some times pink. The problem is they are florescent and they wrap it around your arm until there’s no more feeling. After your done, it's time to stand up, which can be a big concern as some people get real dizzy and it can scare away those waiting in line. Then you get to go over to the treat table to load up on juices, cookies, and some times trail mix. Our group usually has Fig Newton's, which is the only time I ever eat them, when I see them in the store I almost always think about giving blood. Don't get me wrong, I love Fig Newton's it's just no one else at home does, so if I bought them I would have to eat the whole bag. After this mini feast, it's time to walk out with your florescent arm in tow.

When you are giving blood they always give you a few instructions for later - don't lift anything heavy or don't do any strenuous activities. These instructions were the reason I decided to give blood in the first place, that might sound a little strange – but if it leads you to do good that’s a great thing. When they announced the blood drive at my high school, it was in the spring of my senior year. I was eighteen and could make my own decisions if I wanted to donate or not. It was the beginning of the baseball season, which meant conditioning. We had a coach that loved to make us run, I think just for his own enjoyment. During homeroom they explained the procedure and consequences, it’s then that I receives a brilliant manifestation, which usually didn’t happen in any of my classes. There is only one thing that could get me out of practice that beautiful spring afternoon, a florescent arm bandage!

Now like all spectacular ideas - they need to be shared with those with whom you love, or at least with a few friends so you will have company in your glory. So there we sat in the bleachers drinking water, which is what you do after giving blood, watching the rest of the team run their guts out. Now the coach wasn’t real happy that half of his starters were getting suntans and not subjected to his absolute rule. I have given blood ever since.

That non-profit medical organization that would set up a location for donating a few times each year was taken over by the Red Cross. Not much changed except they never kept track of the number of times I’d given blood with the first organization. Which doesn't matter, but it would have been fun too know. I would estimate I have donated blood a couple of times a year for close to thirty years. If correct that could be over five or six gallons of blood. I believe giving blood is one of the most selfless acts of service an ordinary person can do. I have never received any money or special award, just Fig Newton's and juices. I don't know who has ever received my blood or if it has saved any ones life. I just know that our bodies are able to replenish our supply and the pain or inconvenience is minor in comparison to the benefit it provides those that need it. In deed it is worth the sacrifice. I also know that once in a while it can get you out of something even worse like conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment