Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Callings –

The Lord sometimes gives us inspiration without asking for it and other times we have to work to receive it. I served on the High Council for a short period of time in our stake. One of the responsibilities of the High Council is to approve individuals being called to curtain positions. I didn’t know at the time I was called that the stake presidency talked with the high council about possible bishops in each ward as the present bishop is being released. At one of these occasions we talked about the changing of two different Bishoprics– the singles ward and my home ward. Technically I could have been on the list for both wards, but I wasn’t to worried. As a matter of fact it hadn’t even crossed my mind that it could have been a possibility. As we were discussing the individuals that could be considered –starting with the singles ward, we talked about an individual in the room that was sitting right next to me. I felt a wave of spiritual confirmation that covered my body from top to bottom that he should be the bishop of that ward. What a wonderful feeling, I started to wonder if everyone in the room had experienced the same sensation. We then began to talk about my home ward, we talked about another individual and the same experience took place – there was no doubt in my mind these two brethren were the individuals the Lord wanted called at this time. While still talking about the second ward the Stake President said “ we need to consider that in about six months this ward will be divided and a new one will be formed and a new bishop called.” Instantly the same feeling come over me with even greater force than the first two times, I knew I would be the bishop of the new ward. In hindsight it wasn’t a feeling that was being experienced by everyone in the room – but was a tender mercy given to me to help prepare for the upcoming call. As bishop I received inspiration as to whom should fill certain positions within the ward. At one point we needed a new relief society president. We had no idea who it should be and as we took a few days to think about it, it was at the same time Lori and I were going to a country western concert in Salt Lake City. There were close to fifteen thousand people in attendance. During the concern straight across the arena we saw some people waving in our direction. They were members of our ward that had noticed us in the crowd. We waved back and then I received this same wave of inspiration that I had received in the first part of this story telling me that one of these sisters was to be the new relief society president. This call came as a surprise to a number of people in the ward - she had been active only a short period of time. No one was more surprised than she was, I believe she thought I was kidding and looked at me with complete disbelief when I assured her I wasn’t and that it was coming from the Lord. Yes there were many sisters with more experience and knowledge of the gospel within our boundaries. During the next couple of years there were circumstances in the area that would have tried anyone – most of these challenges involved individuals that had special situations and many were within families that were less active. Not only was her personality perfect for those in need but her spiritual development grow almost on a daily basis. Which she needed more than any of us could have imagined as at the end of her service a tragic accident happen to her husband. He was in a coma for a number of weeks and we wondered if he would even be able to come home. Because of her dedicated service to so many and the love the ward had for their family, everyone was willing to do what ever was needed during this challenging time. But the greatest blessing came in the form of straight the Lord gave to this wonderful sister as she sat by her husband’s side and prayed for his recovery. There are a number of miracles associated with this event – and after these many years he still suffers from some of the effects of the accident. But she should know that Gods will has come to pass and she was one of the greatest Relief Society Presidents I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment