Friday, September 11, 2009

Hotels--

Over the past few months I’ve had the opportunity to stay in two different five star hotels. There is defiantly a difference on each star level. This wasn’t the first time I’ve stayed at such a place. Once I had to go to Boston on business and I decided to take my wife along. We stayed in an amazing place overlooking the harbor, the same area our forefathers decided to have a tea party. We wanted to extend out trip for a couple of days and make the drive north to Maine. So my wife would have someone to talk to we decided to invite another couple. After finding out how much it would cost them to get a room, either we needed to get new friends or sell one of our cars, I decided to call back and see if we could have a room with two queen beds so we could share. It worked out all right we just had to coordinate the bathroom schedule and I had to wear pajamas, which looked brand new because they were. It was like a big slumber party. Since I was in charge of the first two nights - our friends were in charge of finding us a couple of rooms for the nights that followed. Thus Lord Wakefield, now I recommend that if you go on vacation and have to spend time in more than one hotel – don’t stay in a five star hotel one night then go to a one star the next. If it has to happen do it the other way around, go to the one star first and then you will feel like you’ve died and gone to heaven the next night – except for the pajamas. The Lord Wakefield wasn’t just old, the king size bed sunk down in the middle. No matter where you started out you ended up in the middle on top of each other. Good thing there were only two of us in the bed. I was a little scared walking barefoot on the carpet or in the bathroom. But there were fewer diseases in the room than it looked like lived in the pool. Since I have made it clear I didn’t like the one star, I also have a couple of problems with the five stars. I guess I’m just a three star kind of guy at heart. At the five stars they didn’t have an ice machine on every floor – I had to call room service just to get a glass of ice. Forget trying to park your own car – at least I drove the one that didn’t have a dent in it. It still looks out of place next to the Spider – Ferrari – and Mercedes parked by the front door. After we took our car out later, I decided to park it myself in a lot behind the hotel that had cars that looked like mine. I found out later it was an employee lot. Neither the one or five star hotels had a complimentary breakfast, but if they did it would be something like the difference between a Twinkie and steak and eggs. If I recall we had a hard time finding someone at he front desk at Lord Wakefield - at the five star I was a little surprised there wasn’t someone out side my bathroom to ask if everything went OK. Hotel personal were everywhere, opening doors, getting a towel – please leave me alone. All right some of that is OK, but I felt like I was at an Amway convention and I was the only one that hadn’t signed up with a sponsor! The beds at the five stars were great – no they were wonderful. I had a hard time finding my wife because of all the pillows. The rooms were amazing – I guess I was just a little embarrassed giving them my bag – a gym bag in my case to take to my room. The main thing is that after I closed my eyes you really can’t tell the difference from a three star or five star hotels – now at the Wakefield I swear I saw glowing yellow eyes in the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment