Friday, September 11, 2009

Hole-in-one,

An acquaintance of mine was listed in the paper for making a hole-in-one. When I saw him a short time later I asked him if it was his first – “no it was my fifth.” Now I knew he golf’s a lot – and if you throw six billion darts at the board your bound to hit the bulls eye once in a while. I know he golf’s a couple of times a week – at least that is what he tells his wife. Despite my friend - a hole in one is a rare event. Many years ago I was golfing in Alamosa Colorado, we were on a par three that was slightly up hill, we couldn’t see the green or the pin and had never golfed the course before so we just aimed straight ahead. My shot felt good, that means it went more than thirty yards and went past the woman’s tees – most of you know what happens if your tee shot doesn’t go past the woman’s tees. I learned this rule from a couple of co-worker that also thought you couldn’t golf without a beer in their hand - the longer we went the more sauced they became the more the rule come into effect. I just wished I were apart of another foursome. Back to Alamosa, when we got to the green we found out why we couldn’t see the pole – some loser not only didn't put it into the hole, but they also laid it in front of the hole. So here was my ball two inches in front of the hole on a perfect line to go in. Now it’s true that the pole could have stopped the ball and it could have gone way past the hole – but it sure looked like it would have gone in, we will never know. Maybe it was my sauced co-workers driving five hundred miles to raise havoc. I have witnessed a hole-in-one once, besides those on sports center, and it also took place with one of my co-workers –but this time it didn’t include alcohol. One afternoon we decided to play a little hooky from work, we were on commission so it really only was hurting ourselves. It seemed that I always did a little better when I would take a break once in a while. No one else was on the course as far as we could see, maybe because it looked like we could be hit by lighting, and no one else was stupid enough to be there. We were on the back nine when it started getting dark – I mean ghost buster dark. The wind started to come up and it started to sprinkle. The next hole was just a par three – lets play just one more, it should only take us five strokes each. It was the shortest hole on the course – less than a hundred yards. I went first and just before I hit the ball the wind decided to double it velocity – so instead of going the usual thirty feet to the right it went at least that far to the left. Man that was trouble – lets get out of here. My partner decided to go anyway – in order to keep the ball low he took out a three wood. A hundred yard with a three wood in the wind and rain good luck. The ball stayed low alright, it bouncer about three or four times on the fairway and then onto the green, it rolled to the left - wind assisted into the hole. Are you kidding me -this guy would have an 80 handy-cap if he had played enough to get a handy-cap. I can’t believe it – nor did anyone else. When we got to the clubhouse he reported the event, they asked which hole and what club he had used –right! It never appeared in the paper. I was his only proof that the amazing shot had taken place and I don't think he wants me to tell many of the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment