Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Nude People--

There have been a number of times in my life that I have happened on some people who were prouder of their bodies than I am - at least they would have to be, to throw all caution to the wind and let it all hang out.

In some areas of the world and even societies it's not only normal but I'm sure it's viewed no big deal. I'm not just talking about the jungle regions of Africa and South America that we read about or see pictures in the National Geographic. Supposedly in many parts of Europe most of the beaches are clothing optional.

One time my wife and I went on a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. Most of these islands are providences of or associated with different European countries. One such island was Saint Martin, which if I'm not mistaken is associated with two different countries. We rented scooters and went around the island looking for excitement. In one location we decided to spend some time on the beach. Unbeknown to us, apparently the Dutch think swimwear is a waist of time and money.

Now if people are allowed to go all natural-riel, there should be a few rules or givens. 1st - If you're a visitor and it's your first time, make sure you have sunscreen. Some parts of your body have never - I repeat never seen sun! No matter how good you think you look, I promise it doesn't look better in bright pink, and I'm sure those area are harder to wear comfortable clothing during the recovery stage. 2nd - There needs to be a weight limit, please let there be a weight limit. I weight twenty to thirty pounds too much, depending on if you ask my wife or me. That weight is borderline; but if you have a couple of hundred pounds to take care of, you may want to have your first experience in your own back yard - please. 3rd - If you are a willing participant, we novices with full clothes as much as we try not too, may gook or stare. Believe me if you don't follow the first two rules, you shouldn't be flattered.

On the beach in Saint Martin one tourist, no doubt she was a tourist, violated all the rules, logic and shattered my faith in humanity in one moment of unforgettable glory. I didn't understand her smile and I know it wouldn't last long after she realized pink wasn't her natural color. I couldn't help but look twice, in complete disbelief and horror.

This wasn't the first time I had seen nudity in the wild. The first time was as a young man with my scout troop rafting down the Colorado River somewhere in southeastern Utah. If you haven't gone white water rafting on the Colorado - you need to put it on your to do list. Yes it's scary, when the front of your boat is fifteen feet higher than you are at the back.

After this adrenalin pumping experience, there are a number of calm and relaxing stretches. It was at one of these locations we were passed by a canoe with three people aboard. One male and two females, stark naked rowing down the river. Now this isn't what most scout leaders want to happen to their troop. It's hard to get ten or twelve young men to act discrete in such a situation. It started out slow but then evolved into a frieze. This event was as memorable as Saint Martin, but in this case they were following the rules I have discussed.

I came away with the impression they had enjoyed giving the Boy Scouts of America an experience where no badges or awards were earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment