Thursday, September 3, 2009

Male sickness –-

There’s nothing that is the same for all people or genders, so if your the one that isn't the same as the majority, good or bad, it normally not a big deal but you may want to keep it to yourself. If you listen to my wife and her friends, men in general are bigger babies than women when they’re sick.

The percentage of our friends that have a stay at home mom is larger than the national average. Maybe that’s why we are friends, because we have more in common or just want to feel better about our choices. If you have a couple of kids a stay at home - mom is a challenging job. Over the past few years as the kids are in school a few of them have taken part-time jobs.

My wife works a couple of hours a day at the elementary school helping in the office and lunchroom. She enjoys it tremendously and would do it for free – if she didn’t have to go everyday. When she doesn’t feel well things slow down a little bit around the house.

Many times I will bring home dinner or need to do a few extra chores, but things seem to continue along without confusion. If I’m sick – it’s the end of the world as we know it. Not only do the things I normally do around the house not get done, which list is far shorter than my wife’s, but also I need constant attention. Honey will you bring me, honey could you please, the list is endless. The two things that work harder when I’m sick are my wife and the remote control.

I almost always take a bath and sleep until Sports Center or PTI comes on. In the case of Sports Center it seems to come on every other hour, it usually doesn’t have anything new from the hour before – but just in case! It’s not just when I’m sick that I’m a wimp, I remember the first time one of the kids threw up – not the little baby spit-up, but the up-chuck that’s got pieces of what ever, I proceeded to join in. I’m sure my wife doesn’t like it either – but who wants two peoples mess to clean up.

Too this day when something like that happens I have permission to leave the room as fast as possible. This same event happened when I went to check on the kids in the bathtub and there was something floating in the water resembling a small log. It didn’t help that kids like to make things bob up and down.

Most men not only can’t function when they’re sick but we won’t go to the doctor – there’s a slim possibility they’ll make us cough. Of course no woman on earth is sympathetic; I think the word they would use is pathetic – considering what poking and prodding they have to go though. I usually get sick once or twice a year and very seldom miss any work. I think I’ve only taken a couple of sick days in the past three years, good thing since it puts my wife back a couple of days each time it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment