Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Nap time -

There’s nothing better than a good old fashion snooze. I really don’t get one that often but when I do it’s the greatest. I think we need to take a lesson from Mexico and have a siesta every afternoon. I believe the ultimate nap is about thirty minutes. I’ve had some that lasted a couple of hours and felt like I’ve been in a train wreck – not to mention I couldn’t go to sleep later that night. The only thing worse than a marathon nap is one that’s to short – your longing for more and just can’t get satisfied. Sundays are the most likely day for me to get a nap, maybe that’s because my wife doesn’t have a long list of chores I need to do. I’m not alone – if you go to an afternoon church service it’s not uncommon to see multiple individuals dousing off during some hell fire and damnation discourse. Occasionally it’s those sitting on the stand – I’ve never seen the speaker do it, but sadly I saw an elderly gentleman fall over during his talk. When they helped him up he kept going as if nothing happened. Many church leaders have early morning meetings and then an afternoon meeting and a soft chair is a lethal combination. Hopefully if someone does fall asleep it’s only one of them. A co-worker told me of a meeting he was at that all three of the people on the stand (except the speaker) fell asleep and when the speaker was done he sat down and no one got up to close the meeting. It didn’t last long but I’m sure it was an insult to the speaker – man this is boring, lets all take a nap. I wasn’t there so maybe its just folklore, but I’m sure it’s happened before. When I was a church leader I had a counselor that just couldn’t stay awake. He probably had a bruise on his right side from all the times I had to elbow him to wake him up. One Sunday it just wasn’t any use. After a couple of failed attempts to wake him up I decided it was just easier to let him go. He was shorter than I was and the congregation got a big kick when he laid his head on my shoulder – he must have needed that one because I couldn’t wake him up. Now I shouldn’t throw stones in a glass house – I’m fallen a sleep more than once on the stand. One time I was having a hard time staying awake so my good wife sent our two-year-old daughter up to keep me awake. She sat on my lap and everyone thought that was cute – but she found out it was pretty comfortable on daddys lap and it didn’t take long for both of us to fall a sleep. The bad part is that everyone was watching us and no one heard what the speaker was saying – I shouldn’t say no one, I’m sure their family was listening unless of course they were asleep in the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment