Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First Sin -

Many religions contemplate the topic of original or the first sin. Believers of the Bible turn to Adam and Eve as the originators of sin. Philosophy or teachings differ to the point that even the salvation of every soul is in question. Some believe that not only did their sin affect Adam and Eve, but were passed on to future generations and if not rectified even infant children can be lost. Others teach it wasn't even a sin but a transgression, and the lesser of two choices. Others state that it only introduced sin into the world and we are only responsible for our own actions and that is what will affect our eternal salvation. Some believe there is no such thing as sin, just choices that affect others and the responsibility to be good neighbors or citizens. I will leave this discussion to another time and a different setting. The question I will address is do you remember the first time you sinned, transgressed or knowingly did something contrary to the rules of a greater being or society in general. I don't know if there is anyone that just woke up one day and decided to commit a major crime when such a thought had never entered his or her mind before. If you could honestly recall your first breech of innocence it would most likely be a minor or inconsequential event. My first recollection of noticeable guilt or regret came shortly after my eighth birthday. I had been baptized when I turned eight and in my mind I was clean and pure - making this fall from grace a little more memorable. This sin carried a monetary value of sixteen cents. With inflation and the increased cost of goods and services the value in today's dollars of this indigestion is in the sixty-cent category. This heinous act was a sin of opportunity not a premeditated action with extended planning and contemplation. My victim was an older woman at the ripe age of ten. While playing with her brother I happened upon a small purse, which held my bounty - a dime, nickel and one penny. With this impulsive theft I also learned an important fact that results from criminal behavior, such acts to be successful usually need to be followed up with additional crimes or lies. My sin began to unravel shortly after the act as I accompanied my father and a couple of my siblings to the grocery store. With my unexpected windfall burning a hole in my pocket, I headed to the candy section of the store. I love black licorice! The selected item was taken to the checkout stand, purchased and in hopes of not having to share I went to the car to devourer my reward. When my father returned to the car and realized why I was already there, he began his inquisition. You must know that my father was a judge in the judicial system for more than thirty years; this man had heard every excuse known to man. It hadn't crossed my mind that it would look like I had stolen the licorice! I had paid good hard cash for that - now where the cash came from was another story. With confidence and resolve I answered honestly that I had not stolen the candy. Being a great cross-examiner from his many courtroom appearances he then asked the killer question. Then where did you get the money? The jig was up - with tear in my eyes I couldn't answer the question. Now at the age of eight I had no understanding of the Fifth Amendment, and in our house in this situation I don't think it would have made any difference. My inquiry was postponed for the monument, until I was able to secure adequate representation - my mom. She then was able to participate in the grand jury investigation. But even with the greatest defense team I knew at the time, the evidence was overwhelming as I spilled my guts on the first question. The proper judgments and punishment was assessed and a confession to the neighbor girl was preformed. I would like to say that this is the only time I have sinned or transgressed - but to do so would be another transgression.

No comments:

Post a Comment