Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Insanity -

For a woman to have ten children she would have to be very special or insane. Insanity is a relative term. I thought the person that invented “Pet Rocks” was insane – all he did was wash them up, put them in a box, and put a few creative words of instruction. Billy Carter seemed a couple of bubbles off center. But if an opportunity presents its self, can you blame him for taking advantage of it. My mother was not insane. Shortly after WWII, she moved away from home to go to school and become a school teacher. During her schooling experience she had the opportunity to do her student teaching. My experience with student teachers was that it was our jobs as students to help them rethink their career decisions, do you really want to do this for the rest of your life? According to my mother she had always liked the name of Paul for one of her children. During her student teaching assignment, wouldn’t you know that she had a child that had the same opinion of student teachers as I did, guess what his name was? Apparently this young man was so bad that not only did my mother never teach school but also it took her ten years of having children and her fourth son before she got up the courage to finally take the plunge. I believe that after she married my dad she just wanted to be a stay at home mom more. Despite not getting paid she was teaching all the time. I must not have kept up with the expectations of my name, as a little while ago one of my elementary school teachers were talking to a couple of my friends about when she was their teacher and she not no idea who I was. But this story is about my Mom. I had a Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde personality when it came to sports. My mom loved basketball and was at all of our games - I loved pie. One day she made me a deal, if I would keep my cool and just play the game she would make me an apple pie. As often happened the refs were terrible and as the games progressed, I began to get fired up. Among all the voices I heard from the bleachers – I heard my mothers voice yelling at the top of her lungs Pie – Pie – Pie. Now this could be one of those times that those people that thought my mom was crazy might have had some ammunition. But I knew exactly what she was saying. Not only did I get my personality from my mother, but also she taught me thousand of lives lessons that have made me whom I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment